Sunday, June 20, 2010

the Monkey House Study: My heart I offer to you...

I was in Grand Rapids, MI two days ago and I got the chance to tour Calvin College. I have posted enough about Calvin on facebook.(though It is excellent!) so I wanted to write about what I did after I visited Calvin. after I left Calvin I went to, with no appointment, Puritan Reformed Seminary, literally half a mile from Calvin College.
the dean of admissions (for the life of me, I can't remember his name) showed me a room, it was, he said, the only room of it's kind. it was a temperature controlled room, Painted white, with little furniture inside, packed with bookshelves lining the wall. every book seemed to be hundreds of years old. he explained that this was the largest collection of Original puritan writings in the world. most books where 400+ years old, some barely hanging on while others were near mint.

He showed me one book in particular that interested me the most. It was A Bible owned by Charles Spurgeon, the prince of preachers. it had is name written inside as well has some notes he wrote in the margins. after he died, it came into the possession of Aurthur W. Pink.
once again, it had hand written notes written by Pink. he said he had no idea how the seminary had obtained the book.

It was all very interesting.

"My heart I offer to you Lord, promptly and sincerely."

0 comments:

Post a Comment